multilib fun - devel packages

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Sat Dec 10 05:23:14 UTC 2005

Matthias Saou (thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net) said:
> IMHO, there is too much workload and complexity created by any of the
> suggestions made. Just setarch and use mach or moch. Trying to get
> multiarch devel packages is probably going to be close to
> cross-compiling... ugly hacks, hard-to-manage-long Fedora specific patches
> upstream authors won't want to include, etc.

You're probably looking at this from the x86/x86_64 dichotomy, where
we ship both ABIs as entirely separate distros - this makes it
easy to build one or the other.

Imagine a future where you'd only ship a 64-bit release, with support
for 32-bit compatiblity. Where would you find all the packages to
populate your mock tree for such a build? How would you handle this
without co-existing devel packages?

Now, imagine you're talking about arches such as ppc and ppc64, or sparc
and sparc64. You're already at this stage, although in reverse - you
have a mainly 32-bit OS, which has 64-bit compatiblity. HOw do you
build those 64-bit packages without co-existing devel, if the whole
tree isn't shipped? (You'll note that while there are ppc and ppc64
'trees' in rawhide, we don't actually ship a disparate distro for ppc64.)

Bill