multilib fun - devel packages

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 11:54:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 01:23:31PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Joe Orton (jorton at redhat.com) said:
> > I don't see how (b) is possible.  How do I tell a foo-config script
> > whether it's doing an -m32 or an -m64 build?
>
> You *can* use uname, although that requires that you use setarch
> when you're building. Checking $CFLAGS could also be used.

So now my -config script becomes something like:

 case `uname -p` in
 ppc|i386|...) exec foo-config-32 "$@";;
 *) exec foo-config-64 "$@";;
 esac

which isn't really something I could take to upstream either.

(And given that it doesn't work without setarch *anyway*, well... I'd
argue, why not just use chroots in the first place and avoid putting ten
zillion ugly hacks into the distro?)

joe