Core BrainStorm

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Dec 12 18:46:39 UTC 2005

> The problem I see is we need the trademark ducks in a row before
> we can do much of this, as it was a barrier to Extras CDs in the past.
> Perhaps I'm missing something important that changed this.

This is something GregDek and I are working on.  This has to be nailed
down as well before we start allowing OEM pre-installs of Fedora with
any kind of modification.  One of the aspects of this is can we legally
call something Fedora if it includes bits from Core and Extras.

[snip]

> > One more thing: What about "Fedora Commons" instead of "Fedora Extras"?  I
> > realize that it then overloads the FC acronym, but "Extras" seems wrong to
> > me now, especially since we're going to be relying so much upon Extras
> > over time.
>
> Contrib! *ducks*
>
> Would Commons get confused with a patent commons?

So nobody said anything about my suggestion, Fedora Linux which is a
combo of Core and Extras components.  Targetted rolls can insert the
target name between, Fedora Office Linux, Fedora Server Linux, etc...
Is there a reason we can't use the term Linux in the name?

Was I helpful?  Let others know: