multilib fun - devel packages

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 13:33:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:39:47PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Attached are lists of a) the 117 packages with conflicts
> b) the conflicts themselves. (This was tested on x86_64/i386;
[...]
> 1) Old-style <library>-config scripts for setting CFLAGS and
>    LDFLAGS. Example: libst-config
>
>    Can be a) ported to pkg-config b) genericized to have a
>    single script for all arches.

  xml2-config, xslt-config, xmlsec1-config are shown as conflicting,
though there is no good reason for it. Independantly of the arch their
content should basically be the same. The only difference is due to

libdir=/usr/lib64
vs.
libdir=/usr/lib

  as generated by configure. Fixing this is possible but I would rather not
make this fedora specific.

> libxml2-devel-2.6.22-1
> libxslt-devel-1.1.15-1
> xmlsec1-devel-1.2.9-3

> libxml-devel-1.8.17-13

Why on earth do I still hear about libxml (v1) in the context of Fedora ?
Repeat after me, this package is dead, unmaintained, and nothing should
rely on it anymore, shipping a -devel for it is just insane, I though the
decision it was dropped for good had been taken ages ago, or did I missed
something ?

Daniel