libxml v1 dependencies (was: Re: multilib fun - devel packages)

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Dec 16 01:32:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 20:24 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> whats the target group for Core again? knowledge worker doesn't
> encompass finance tracking of any sort? I think thats probably a very
> very narrow definition of "knowledge" "worker" and the resulting
> combination of the two words.  And if you want to apply that narrow a
> definition.. i have a very very long list of application level
> functionality I could suggest be shown the door as well to suppliment
> Seth's list of duplicate functionality.
>
> -jef"I'll let you remove finance software from the target if we also
> remove graphics software too.. I'm all for compromise"spaleta

I'm not suggesting we move it as a target issue, I'm suggesting we move
it as a legacy software w/ no good replacement.  I can't help that there
is no good replacement at this time.  It could be a temporary move to
Extras until such time the gtk2 version is ready for use.  Then we can
explore adding it back in as a target reason.  But by then, we may be to
the stage of Fedora Linux being pushed as a disk set made up of core
+extras.  Then the 'target' isn't really the deciding factor as to if it
is in Core or Extras.  For the mean time, as a complexity issue, I see
no problem with pushing it into extras.  We really need to combat the
Extras is Second Class stigma going forward.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: