libxml v1 dependencies (was: Re: multilib fun - devel packages)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Dec 16 11:21:14 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 16.12.2005, 02:48 -0800 schrieb Panu Matilainen:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 21:27 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> >> Until there is a clear signal that the definition of Core has changed
> >> direction I'm not going to be working under the single CD goal
> >> assumption.  Someone is going to have the balls to move KDE and some
> >> of that java crap over to Extras if you have a chance in hell of going
> >> to one CD.  I'll pay more attention to this argument as a serious
> >> statement of policy direction once I see KDE move over.
> >
> > I'll fall on my sword and say that I think that moving KDE out to extras
> > is a good idea - but probably not for the reason you expect.  Since it's
> > clear that Red Hat is not going to be supporting KDE (we're just not
> > going to put up the resources) let's stop holding it hostage and invite
> > the KDE community who cares about it to develop and support it as part
> > of Extras.  We can give them a lot of freedom to make it look nice and
> > work the way that they think it should.  (Kedora?)

I liked the "Fedora KDE Desktop" that someone suggest on this list some
days ago a lot more ;-)

> +100
>
> Letting KDE enthusiastics package it the way they think it should be done
> in Extras instead of having them whining about "RH shipping broken KDE"
> is probably going to gain more friends

Up to here I fully agree. But I disagree with this...

> than you lose by dropping it out of
> Core.

...if we do it *now*. There will be a lot of bad press about Fedora
then. I'd like to avoid that. And avoiding that is quite easy afaics if
we just wait another 6 or 12 month until anaconda can access
fedora-extras via internet or from extras-iso-files that were burned on
CD.

Installing KDE should then be as smooth as it is now and nobody can
complain that KDE is in "Fedora Extras -- the second class
citizen" (they still will, but that's life).

CU
thl