libxml v1 dependencies

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 04:49:52 UTC 2005

Tom Lane wrote:

>Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> writes:
>

>>Desktop just makes better sense for a single CD target IMO. Server users
>>generally are more advanced and would want to install more packages
>>while a significant portion of desktop users might be willing to settle
>>for the default desktop Lapps in a single CD.
>>

>Really?  Can you fit a reasonable desktop environment on one CD these
>days?  (How many meg is OpenOffice at the moment?)

People have done it before. There are more than a few Live CD's and
single CD distributions which are based on Fedora (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DerivedDistributions/ ) and yes they can
still be useful. The magic sauce is pick a default desktop environment,
office suite, browser, music player etc and carefully prune out extra
dependencies by splitting out packages where necessary to strictly keep
up with a typical user desktop. We might have to make some hard choices
in this process but its certainly doable.

regards
Rahul