libxml v1 dependencies

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 07:53:28 UTC 2005

Hi

>Why not? You would ship such a CD and would ship additional CDs
>containing snapshots of subsets of the yum repositories.
>
>A "Fedora Office CD", e.g. would contain a repository snapshot of
>openoffice, firefox etc. and all of their infrastructure.

That would drive up the cost for redistribution. Fedora Projects ships
CDs/DVDs to many places all over the world.

>IMO, there is no reason to put GNOME in a privileged position.
>Those parts of it which are requirement of a "minimal install" are
>inevitable but anything else is waste of disc space. The same applies to
>GCC, python, Perl, ... simply any package.

Its not about GNOME as such but providing a targeted version of Fedora
for desktop users from a single CD. Single CD obviously limits the
choice of a DE. We can pick GNOME, KDE or XFCE and provide the
infrastructure for others to create their own subsets from Core and
Extras repository. Somebody might choose a Games, Educational or even a
Perl edition.

regards
Rahul