some packages that can be removed from Core

José Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Tue Dec 20 09:15:13 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> These are libraries not required by anything. Note that I'm treating
> perl modules as libraries in this case.
>
> perl-Convert-ASN1
> perl-LDAP
> perl-XML-SAX
>
> The rest of them aren't required by *anything*, AFACIT, aside
> from perl module interdependencies among the group.

perl-LDAP (plus perl-Convert-ASN1 and perl-XML-SAX) should be required
by the samba package. Unfortunately the smbldap-tools, included in the
samba tarball for several months now, are being packaged as docs.

SMBLDAP tools
http://samba.idealx.org/index.en.html

jpo

PS - There are other perl modules being filtered out from core RPMS.
PS2 - perl-Tk and perl-IO-Socket-SSL should be core modules:
  i) perl-Tk is needed by tetex and should be *required* by net-snmp
     (this package is being crippled as the utility tkmib is simply
      removed)
  ii) SSL support for several perl modules (perl-LDAP, ...)
--
José Pedro Oliveira
* mailto: jpo at di.uminho.pt * http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo *