libxml v1 dependencies

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 09:42:59 UTC 2005

Hi

>I don't understand this.
>
>You'd have different Fedora Distributions and different Fedora
>Distributors. Each one would be able to ship the collection of packages
>from the FC + FE he wants to ship.

Different vendors can already distribute Fedora.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution

> The burdon/load of compiling CDs would be
>shifted away from RH, except if RH also wants to be one of these
>"vendors"

Think LUGs or conferences. RH does ship Fedora for free on these
occasions and additional CD's would cost more to redistribute.

>As it seems to me, I can't make it to you - I am questioning this kind
>of partitioning a distribution as a whole, because whatever you or RH
>considers "nominal desktop" is irrelevant to users.

My personal preference might be irrelevant but whatever engineering
resources being alloted to the project directly determines the level of
development and integration work. Setting aside that point , community
like I said can create their own targets based on Fedora repositories.
There would can be any of  Fedora GNOME or KDE  or <insert your own
target> editions. The difference is that the user can download one of
those *single* CD's based on their choice and get most of what they want.

regards
Rahul