gimp-print-cups

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 20:10:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 14:35, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Seems a bit overkill.  Why not just a mail to fedora-list or something
>
> Lists are a blackhole...

Exactly.  We make this mistake repeatedly.  Information that should be
PERSISTENT and ORGANIZED ("this is stuff we need to take care of") is,
instead, TRANSITORY and DISORGANIZED ("which mailing list archive should I
be combing through again?")

/me goes to put this on the list of TODOs -- list of orphaned/abandoned
packages.  I asked mschwendt if he'd be willing to tackle policy on this,
but no word yet.  :-)

--g

> ... There could very well be a case of someone in the userbase who is
> willing to maintain a package but doesn't track rawhide nor the high
> noise lists (at the moment the package is dropped from Core)... but will
> notice as soon as they install the next release and the package is not
> there. It's much easier to keep a centralized list of orphaned packages
> through the test period and release transition to point people as
> complains roll in than to search and reference multiple list posts.
>
> Keep a list of orphans long enough to make sure everyone who didn't
> notice till they installed the new core release has a chance to see the
> list and volunteer... wipe the list clean before the next test phase of
> core begins.
>
> How to handle dropping stuff from a rolling extras is a bit tougher with
> appropriate notice.
>
> -jef

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan