Summary of Dropped Packages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Feb 24 16:31:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 09:56 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 04:47 -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> >Alternatively there can be just one kernel-devel that provides all 4
> >and is hardlinked within the package.
>
> That's actually attractive to me for other reasons -- for kernel-module
> packages we currently have no way of knowing which variants exist
> (smp,hugemem,xen0,xenU,etc.). If they were all present in the
> kernel-devel package that wouldn't be a problem.
>
> Also, it's impossible to install i586 and i686 kernel-devel packages
> side by side. I did my testing on ppc by installing ppc and ppc64
> kernel-devel packages together, but that's a special case. Again,
> putting them all in one fixes this.

This has already been done a long time ago in the fedora.us
kernel-module-devel package.  It's not hardlinked, but symlinked,
though.

http://cvs.fedora.us/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pkg/kernel-module-devel/
http://cachalot.mine.nu/3/RPMS.extras/kernel-module-devel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3-0.6-0.fdr.1.i386.rpm
http://cachalot.mine.nu/3/SRPMS.extras/kernel-module-devel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3-0.6-0.fdr.1.src.rpm