rawhide/fc4 extras builds

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Feb 26 18:28:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:38:08 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> >> If you want to do them by hand that's fine by me. I'm not sure what
> >> we're disagreeing about. Do you want to do a mass rebuild as a test now?
> >
> >I want to avoid [more] chaos if that's possible, please.
>

> What's chaotic right now?

Chaos at several fronts: a sudden mass-rebuild from a non-ready CVS for
pre-extras, rushed attempts at trimming down core, uncoordinated package
submissions, potentially orphaned packages (maybe even a few more), not
every packager has CVS access, rebuilds without build requests (e.g. PPC
builds of xv or unreviewed packages). I think coordination could be better.

> >It is not clear to me what you have planned. Do you want every individual
> >package owner to bump release versions in current "devel" tree on some day
> >between now and FC4T1?
>

> I didn't have much of anything planned. We wanted the branch for extras
> so people could work on new versions of changed build deps due to fc4.
> The goal was to make extras cvs match core cvs so that people could
> follow 'development' sanely.

And that means more chaos, because packages have build requirements
and hence depend on other packages to be ready, too.

> >At fedora.us we've had mass-rebuilds for the first or second test release,
> >and the dist tag made a release bump unnecessary.
>

> Right but if you read the packaging guidelines, I'm not sure we're quite
> there yet for those bits of infrastructure.

I didn't mean that. I don't like dist tags, and they don't add value unless
you rebuild each and every update for all distributions.

-snip-
> does that make sense to you?

No, it doesn't. Sorry. It doesn't answer my earlier questions. It doesn't
answer when and whether to mass-rebuild.