proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 14:14:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 15:07 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:57:27AM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > I'd rather not ship them in most cases and not add a package in the case
> > where it might be needed.  It ends up leading to a much worse comps
> > nitemare otherwise.
>
> Well, I'd like to be able to link a library statically if I choose to.
> I do not care much if the .a file is in the -devel or a -static package,
> but I'd like to have it.

I think there are plenty of cases at the lower levels of the stack where
it makes sense and thus I think they should remain in -devel.  But, for
example, a lot of the GNOME stack actually doesn't make any sense at all
to link statically as it depends on dlopen()'ing of various shared
objects.  So static libs along those lines seem like good candidates to
remove and save some space

Jeremy