CVS tag help needed

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 10:09:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:04:34PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:35:34 +0900, Jens Petersen wrote:
>
> > > be corrected with plain "cvs" and proper options. But be careful,
> > > please.
> >
> > I haven't tried it yet but AFAICT "make tag TAG_OPTS=-F" does the equivalent
> > of "make force-tag" for core cvs.
> >
> > I still think force-tag would be useful for Extras too though... comments?
>
> Convenient access to dangerous options bears an unknown risk, IMO.

make force-tag is really useful, e.g. when:
1) you forgot to say make FILES=new-tarball new-source
   and make build fails because it can't find the tarball.
   Then you just run make ... new-source; cvs ci; make force-tag
   and make build again
2) if make build fails for some other reason, e.g. some patch
   contains a fatal bug that causes compilation failure.
   There is no point to bump %{release} as rpm with that %{release}
   hasn't ever been built.

	Jakub