proposal to remove static libs from -devel packages for FC5

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 14:28:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 15:33 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Indeed people who don't need -devel packages don't need -static either.
> > My concern is developers having to download static libs that they never
> > use.
>
> Given the fact that selecting "development" in the installation process
> will give you almost each and every -devel package the system has to
> offer anyway I thinks this is a kind of moot point. Disk space is cheap.

And if the static libs are split out, then it will give you the -static
packages as well.  But at a huge cost of maintenance for the comps file
+ overhead of more headers in the rpmdb (with duplicated changelogs,
etc).

The more I think about this, the more I think that it's a solution in
search of a real problem.

Jeremy