FC4 looking good

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Jun 8 18:45:38 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 09:57 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> I dunno - sound is pretty hosed on my laptop.  I imagine that others are
> suffering as well.  Apps like rhythmbox and xmms will sometimes just
> start playing garbage, skipping through to the end of a song very quickly.

this is dmix.  dmix is hosed for a lot of people currently.  On my
laptop, it can do any of the following after a short time (say, 5 min)
of music playing:

a) scramble the sound completely (similar to what you just said)
b) stop playing, use no CPU
c) stop playing, use 100% CPU

Other people I've polled on this using FC3 and FC4 test releases have
had the same issues - though not necessarily all three.

I've discussed this with some people directly on IRC.  I've discussed
this with some people at GUADEC as well, but I can't figure out if FC4
is going to ship with dmix turned on by default.  I don't really know
for sure either who is "responsible" at redhat for this part of the
stack - though I have some likely suspects I maybe should target :)

Anyway, here is a strong warning against it - it is just not ready yet
for a lot of drivers.  Stuff needs to be fixed first, and clueful people
need to look at the problem.

Thomas

Welcome to Hits City, Jeff K - Population: you