GConf schema packaging guidelines

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 19:42:44 UTC 2005

How should we be dealing with GConf schema in spec files?

Looking over some existing spec files, I see things like this:
SCHEMAS="clock.schemas fish.schemas pager.schemas panel-compatibility.schemas panel-general.schemas panel-global.schemas panel-object.schemas panel-toplevel.schemas tasklist.schemas window-list.schemas workspace-switcher.schemas"
for S in $SCHEMAS; do
  gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule %{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/$S > /dev/null
done

(from the gnome-panel spec file's "inst" section)

Why is this done here?

Can we have an RPM macro instead?

Some spec files try to uninstall the schema e.g. from
evolution-connector:
%preun
export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`
gconftool-2 --makefile-uninstall-rule \
  %{_sysconfdir}/gconf/schemas/apps_evolution_exchange.schemas >/dev/null || :

Is this recommended best-practise?

I'll update http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines once I get
a good answer to this.

Dave