STR working out of the box

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 10:50:13 UTC 2005

Hey David,

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 02:16 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hey,
<snip>
> On http://people.redhat.com/davidz/suspend/ you should find SRPMs and
> i386 RPMS for
>
>  vbetool-0.2           - Tool for run real-mode video BIOS code to alter
>                          hardware state
>  powermgmt-001         - ACPI S3 suspend script, configuration file and
>                          lid event script for acpid
>  hal-0.5.0.cvs20050312 - new version of hal to cope with whitelist data
>                          (see below)

Cool stuff. I'll need to try and see if vbetool works as well as the
hacky, very specific "video_post" tool I currently use.

<snip>
> Here are fairly difficult questions/issues:

<snip>
>  2. I've assumed that there are no regressions in the kernel; e.g.
>     if ACPI S3 sleep works in kernel X for a system Y then it also
>     works in kernel Z for system Y given that Z >= X. I don't
>     really know enough linux-acpi history if this is a good assumption?

DaveJ already replied on that one. I'm lucky enough that regression
didn't last for more than one release for me.

<snip>
>  4. ditto for rmmod; modules should never never be unloaded or
>     so the core kernel guys says.

What's the current policy on this? On my laptop (again), none of the
modules need to be unloaded. I wouldn't want the network, the sound, or
something else being unloaded if it didn't have to. And I really think
that those scripts should never do that unless the user added the
modules as to be removed. Those drivers are broken and should be fixed.

<snip>
>  6. Sometimes suspend fails for me because the mDNSResponder
>     service wasn't stopped:
>
>                 Mar 13 01:33:32 daxter kernel:  stopping tasks failed (1 tasks remaining)
>                 Mar 13 01:33:32 daxter kernel: Restarting tasks...<6> Strange, mDNSResponder not stopped
>
>          Some of the other distro/upstream scripts have a list of
>          services to stop. I've seen mysql there too. Euhw.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to check why on earth it stays running?
I've seen that one as well...

>  7. There is a TODO to shutdown networking completely as some
>     network drivers refuse to be unloaded otherwise - even if
>     the drivers were to be fixed we'd probably want this anyway
>     in a NetworkManager world

Crappy drivers, should be fixed.

I don't think that unloading drivers should be the default, ever,
otherwise bugs don't get filed, bugs don't get fixed, problems still
occur, and applications break ("Oooh, let's kill all the apps using the
sound device because the sound driver's crap").

Keep on the good work.

--
Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com>