STR working out of the box

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 06:21:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

sorry for the slowness,

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 03:12 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

<snip bunch of informative comments>

> I'll warn you now, that there will be kernel bugs. Whether anyone
> gets to fixing them in any short amount of time is something that
> I wouldn't like to place odds on.  I'd love it if suspend/resume
> worked on more systems, however it's something of a black art
> chasing down problems related to this issue.

Yah, I guess we shouldn't bother with white lists then, it was only a
few hours of hacking anyway :-).

I'd love, though, to have some easy-to-configure scripts (like the
suspend.sh script I've sent) shipped in the distro (even with
questionable tools such as vbetool).

> My laptop for instance
> suspends just fine. Resume however looks just like I powered it on
> for the first time. I've written this off as 'BIOS bug', and don't
> ever expect it to work. Some of our users however won't see things
> the same way because "Windows works fine".

It all comes down to managing users expectations, really. I suppose to
achieve as good coverage as Windows we'd need to be bug-by-bug
compatible as I understand that the Windows driver, acpi.sys or
something, is a generic one...

David