STR working out of the box

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 06:34:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 10:50 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> <snip>
> >  6. Sometimes suspend fails for me because the mDNSResponder
> >     service wasn't stopped:
> >
> >                 Mar 13 01:33:32 daxter kernel:  stopping tasks failed (1 tasks remaining)
> >                 Mar 13 01:33:32 daxter kernel: Restarting tasks...<6> Strange, mDNSResponder not stopped
> >
> >          Some of the other distro/upstream scripts have a list of
> >          services to stop. I've seen mysql there too. Euhw.
>
> Wouldn't it be a better idea to check why on earth it stays running?
> I've seen that one as well...

I certainly don't disagree here! FWIW, I saw a patch on acpi-devel for
that the other day re: mysql. My hacking with hal tells me also that if
you have processes in state D the suspend will always fail (usb-storage
likes to hang processes especially for, uhm, crappy USB2 card readers).
So it looks to me like there's some architectural problems in the kernel
also, though I could be wrong.

> >  7. There is a TODO to shutdown networking completely as some
> >     network drivers refuse to be unloaded otherwise - even if
> >     the drivers were to be fixed we'd probably want this anyway
> >     in a NetworkManager world
>
> Crappy drivers, should be fixed.
>
> I don't think that unloading drivers should be the default, ever,
> otherwise bugs don't get filed, bugs don't get fixed, problems still
> occur, and applications break ("Oooh, let's kill all the apps using the
> sound device because the sound driver's crap").

Right.

In another mail you wrote:
> I forgot to add that I hope your script takes into account for weird
> hardware (yay! my laptop again). Even under Windows it behaves very
> bizarrely because it generates a close lid event, but will only wake
> up
> with a key press, not generating any lid open event, as the machine
> was
> sleeping when the lid was opened again.

It's probably difficult to fine tune with things like acpid but in the
star trek future where all policy is enforced from e.g. gnome-power-
manager we should be able to do the right thing.

Cheers,
David