Missing pkgconfig dependencies

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 12:45:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:01:36PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:44:34 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >   Okay I have only one normative text for what pkgconfig is all about:
> >
> > man pkg-config
> > -------------------------
> > The pkg-config program is used to retrieve information about installed
> > libraries in the system.  It is typically used  to  compile  and  link
> > against  one or more libraries.  Here is a typical usage scenario in a
> > Makefile:
> > -------------------------
> >
> >   pkg-config is there to get library dependancies. Program needing fam or
> > gamin support need it to get the libraries to link to. The output of
> > pkgconfig cflags or link must *NOT* show glib output, even if from a
> > packaging level, gamin requires glib for the server side. The fact that
> > KDE requires fam or gamin, does not mean it should link against glib.
> > So without further detailed information allowing to disambiguate using
> > pkgconfig for it's original goal of simplifying compiling and linking from
> > the added use as a packaging dependancy, bug #152486 is a WONTFIX for me.
>
> Bug-specific replies are better added in bugzilla. I replied to #152486

  The underlying concern I have is that pkg-config is self described as
a tool for libraries dependancies, and the reports I get here are about
packages dependancies. There can be good reasons why both are not the same.
I still don't have an explanation why both semantic are pushed as a
being the same distro wide, nor what I misssed assuming I got something
wrong.

Daniel