Missing pkgconfig dependencies

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 14:22:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:59:59 +0200, Miloslav Trmac <mitr at redhat.com> wrote:
> Why? I don't think it is more important to keep the dependency tree "clean"
> than to keep pkg-config working.  If it bothers someone, the package will
> eventually get split.

If anything... this will help identify which packages should be split
and give user a little leverage to harsh maintainers in public forums
about splitting off a -devel subpackage.  If i runtime package foo
ends up pulling in bar-devel package using this automated tagging of
requirements.. clearly foo is including crap that should be in
foo-devel.  If the the long term ideal goal is both clean dep trees as
well as complete seperation of runtime and devel components, i think
this extra requirements check helps identify both types of packaging
problems.

Rawhide would be a very good place to test this sort of automation out
to identify a list of problem packages that are pulling in -devel
requirements so those packages can get fixed. If the new check is
incredibly problematic (more than say 10% of the runtime packages),
disable this automated requires check before a final release and
rebuild the package set.  At the very least you end up knowing which
packages are screwed up and need to be split so you can work on that
in rawhide.

-jef"and knowing is half the battle.. Yo Joe!"