packages with broken debuginfo

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue May 10 17:17:15 UTC 2005

> Matthias Saou (thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net) said:
> > Bill Nottingham wrote :
> >
> > > Fedora Extras packages:
> > > -----------------------
> > [...]
> > > libebml-debuginfo-0.7.3-1.i386.rpm
> > > libmatroska-debuginfo-0.7.5-1.i386.rpm
> > > plib-debuginfo-1.8.3-6.i386.rpm
> > > plib16-debuginfo-1.6.0-2.i386.rpm
> > [...]
> >
> > These have in common that they only produce static libraries, no shared.
> > Is it then normal to not have the debug symbols stripped out, or is it
> > because of some problem, like needing to chmod +x the static libs?
>
> As I understand, the debug symbols are stripped out, but no
> debuginfo is created. Hm, this could be a bug with how debuginfo
> packages are generated.

It seems to me that the way this *should* work is:

 - The main libs package contains the debug symbols, not stripped
   (separate debug symbols aren't going to work for a static library,
   as far as I can see.)

 - The debuginfo package contains the sources, as per-normal

Of course, that's probably a lot of work. Simply running
strip -g on the libraries and turning off the debuginfo packages
is going to be a lot simpler, though the resulting linked executables
won't be debuggable.

Really, of course, the answer is to avoid static libraries. This is
just the tip of the iceberg for problems with static libraries.
They don't work across libc version changes, for another example.

Regards,
						Owen