umask package policy

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon May 23 21:11:13 UTC 2005

wtogami at redhat.com (Warren Togami) writes:

>>> Should we make it a packaging policy that packages must own all
>>> directories and files that it installs in order to avoid umask 077
>>> problems like this where the installed software is effectively
>>> broken?
>> +1, although I thought that already is a policy at least in Extras.
>> But not _all_ directories it installs, only those that are not owned
>> by its prerequisite packages.

Exactly; and to nitpick: simple 'Requires:' do not suffice, but
'Requires(pre):' (and Requires(postun): ones) are needed.

> Hmm you are right, but that makes it more difficult to make an automated
> test.

An automated test would have to ignore lot of exceptions; e.g. there was
never found a solution for all the language dirs in /usr/share/man or in
/usr/share/locale.

> I guess both tests will require a chroot and installing all deps.

Not really; just an rpmdb with all available packages. rpmDirectoryCheck
can do such a check but does not work well with ambiguous deps and requires
manual adjustments for them.

Enrico