umask package policy

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue May 24 08:50:12 UTC 2005

ville.skytta at iki.fi (Ville Skyttä) writes:

>> > Using context marked dependencies like Requires(pre) to "solve" this is
>> > abuse, please don't do that.
>>
>> Why abuse? There is no other way to say 'I require directory /foo before
>> my files will be installed' for a package.
>
> "Requires(pre): /foo" does not say that.  It says "directory /foo is
> required until my %pre script has completed".  See the description in
> the max-rpm snapshot (link in my previous mail).

ok; then a third 'Requires:' should be added. But that's implicated by
'Requires(...)' in the current tools.

> You are using side effects of tools not meant to enforce what you're
> trying to achieve.  In other words, abusing them.  What's wrong with
> plain Requires or PreReq?

'Requires:' does not guarantee that the directory exists when the package
is installed. Semantic of 'PreReq' is not clear to me and afaik, it is
deprecated and should be replaced by 'Requires(...):'.

Enrico