The impending end of FC2 NEEDINFO bugs...

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Thu May 26 17:50:14 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> The WONTFIX state screams to some users 'this issue is a waste of my
> precious developer time i do not care about this issue and i never
> will care about this issue so don't bother refiling it again even if
> you do upgrade to the next core and still see the problem.'

I'd go one step further, and say that "WONTFIX" state, even
when accompanied with a friendly explanation, more often than
not is interpreted as "F*** O** and DIE, WE DON'T CARE!!!" by
a lot of people.  And if not that harsh, it is at least
interpreted very negatively and usually triggers negative
harsh comments in return.

An additional note about my suggestions in the thread so far,
is that this is largely a psychological issue.  The end result
is the same wether we say something polite and friendly, with
good intent, and close a bug with a more positive sounding
resolution - as it is if we say "This issue is very low
priority, and we're not going to dedicate the resources to
fix it.  Closing WONTFIX."

The psychological effects of saying "WONT", "CANT", "DONT",
"NOT*" are to stimulate a negative experience in the mind
of the reader, and should be avoided if at all possible.

With a bit of practice, I've changed the way I respond to
bugs to almost always use positive phrases, and before
submitting my comment, I seek out all negative words, and
try to rephrase with positive words, unless I am sure
the negative makes sense and wont be taken in a bad way.

It's generally not that hard to do.  Or should I reword
that and say:  It's generally fairly easy to do.

;o)