FC4 setuid executable changes

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri May 27 11:15:12 UTC 2005

Joe Orton wrote:
> Here's the diff of changes in setuid apps since FC3:
>
> cpufreq-selector and vboxbeep look dubious; also sudoedit?
>

> -/usr/bin/sperl5.8.5	root	root	-rws--x--x
> +/usr/bin/sperl5.8.6	root	root	-rws--x--x

As discussed earlier on fedora-perl-devel-list, there seemingly is no
good reason to have this versioned suid binary along with "sperl".  When
I asked Chip "why!?" all he said in response was "Symmetry!"

/usr/bin/perl
/usr/bin/perl5.8.6

This seems like an odd reason.  And I don't see any benefit to keeping
either versioned binary.  Is this another strange upstream perl thing?

Too late to remove it now... but I'm thinking we should remove it in the
future unless someone finds some good reason to keep it.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com