Renaming a package

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Nov 1 03:40:06 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is this recommended/nominal procedure to rename a package in FE's
> CVS?
>
> I could imagine 3 approaches:
>
> 1. I "cvs add" the "old-package" as "new-package", edit the files
> accordingly, then subsequently "cvs rm old-package".

I would recommend this, since this is the regular CVS approach. It's
important that the new-package CVS commit message includes a pointer to
the old name ("moved from old-package"), so that one is able to follow
this link to consult the CVS history of the file if necessary. By
removing the old-package files, and always using the -P (prune empty
directories) with cvs update, the old empty directory will be removed
automatically by CVS during the update.

> 2. Somebody with direct CVS repository moves the directories in CVS
> ("cp old-package new-package") and I edit the files after the
> directories have been moved.

This corrupts the CVS repository because one can no longer checkout an
older tree. Should be avoided.