[Fwd: ATTENTION: XFree86-devel and xorg-x11-devel will no longer exist very soon.]

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 06:08:19 UTC 2005

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 12:34 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>email message attachment (ATTENTION: XFree86-devel and xorg-x11-devel
>>will no longer exist very soon.)
>

> It would be useful to have the contents of all these new *-devel
> packages somewhere online (Wiki?), ie. which libs and especially headers
> are in which -devel package etc.

The rpms are on ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/xorg-modular-fc5

I encourage members of the Fedora community to create webpages and/or
tools to query/list information of this nature.  The simple method
would be to use the binary rpms present there and create a custom
rpmdb from it in a manner similar to the redhat-rpmdb package, then
direct rpm to query for things from this custom database.

In general, for converting to modular X dependencies, you can query
an rpm package to find out what libraries the contents of the rpm
link to by doing:

rpm -qp --requires foo.i386.rpm

If "libX11.so.*" shows up, then you'll want to add to the spec file:

BuildRequires: libX11-devel

ditto for all libraries it uses.

Hope this helps.