List of rejected packages

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 07:44:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 20:28 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Arf, arf, arf. Would something like this "Sorry, you can't play your
> audio CDs, please consider downloading them from a dodgy Korean website
> as Ogg Vorbis files instead" make sense to you?
>
> In this case, I'd say:
> Fedora Suggests: "Donate money to the EFF, and lobby your local
> political leaders to abolish software patents", or even removing the
> suggestion.

Yes, as an addition, but not instead of the previous statement.

We are providing alternative technology suggestions from the stand point
that we have no clue what they intend to do with the technology.  Just
like we won't say to do such-and-so to avoid DVD encryption, we won't go
suggesting how to rip DVD to Ogg, or find Ogg files for download.

For those with legitimate video codec needs, we are doing them the favor
of making it clear what is the most supportable format.  In fact, that
is the only thing we can safely tell them.  Well, aside from the EFF
pitch. :)

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide