Moving packages from extras to core

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 16:30:33 UTC 2005

I'm packaging Avahi for Fedora Core, and it depends on libdaemon, so we
have to ship that in Core too. However, this already exists in extras
(although the version is too old for Avahi) so we need to actually move
it into core.

I can do the Core side of the work, in fact I have already updated the
package to a more recent version and made a few changes to the specfile.
The question is, how do we handle removing the version in extras, in
favour of the core version? Has this been done before?

Also, how will this work wrt maintainership of the package? I'm fine
with owning this package inside redhat, but I don't want to steal it
from the current extras maintainer (cc:ed). I just needed it in core due
to the Avahi dependency.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scrappy zombie vampire hunter who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
green-fingered punk mechanic who can talk to animals. They fight crime!