Moving packages from extras to core

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 07:06:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 23:04 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 18:30 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > I can do the Core side of the work, in fact I have already updated the
> > package to a more recent version and made a few changes to the specfile.
> > The question is, how do we handle removing the version in extras, in
> > favour of the core version? Has this been done before?
>
> Yes, one recent example off the top of my head would be icu.
>
> Going from extras to core should be pretty straightforward; it's just a
> matter of letting the extras maintainer know about the plan, importing
> the package to core, bumping the release so that it updates the extras
> one, 'cvs rm'ing the devel branch of the package from extras CVS, and
> finally requesting removal from the extras devel repository, currently:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FC5Status
>
> > Also, how will this work wrt maintainership of the package? I'm fine
> > with owning this package inside redhat, but I don't want to steal it
> > from the current extras maintainer (cc:ed).
>
> Usually that question reduces to figuring out whether the new core
> maintainer of the package wishes to maintain the extras packages too or
> not.  That can be decided between the core/extras maintainers however
> they see fit.

I have now build libdaemon in Fedora Core. How do we move on from here?
I don't actually have an extras account right now.

(CC:in the right extras maintainer (i hope) this time).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scarfaced soccer-playing filmmaker for the 21st century. She's a
tortured kleptomaniac schoolgirl living on borrowed time. They fight crime!