License text in binary packages

José Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Mon Sep 5 15:16:48 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:37:32 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
>>
>>> Does nobody else see this as a horribly hypocritical?  If Red Hat is
>>> serious about enforcing this rule, then first mandate it on Core to
>>> lead by example.
>>

>> +1
>

> <AOL>
> Me too
> </AOL>
>
>>> Then everyone is forced to discuss the technical annoyances like below:
>>>
>>> How are we supposed to deal with cases where the source did not ship
>>> a full copy of the license in order to add to %doc easily?  We are
>>> supposed to add another copy of the license to each SRPM?
>>

>> Do we have examples for this? (other than a missing GPL "COPYING" file)
>

> It's very common for both the GPL and Artistic license texts not to be
> shipped with perl modules that use the same license as perl (i.e. dual
> GPL/Artistic).

You may also add LaTeX packages from CTAN: most of them are licensed
under the LPPL (LaTeX Project Public License) but usually don't
include the full text of the license .

I think this may extended to all (?) comprehensive mirror systems:

  * CPAN - Comprehensive Perl Archive Network
    http://www.cpan.org/

  * CTAN - Comprehensive TeX Archive Network
    http://www.ctan.org/

  * CRAN - Comprehensive R Archive Network
    http://cran.r-project.org/
  * ...

jpo
--