Handling mandatory config file updates

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Sep 29 14:31:45 UTC 2005

I maintain a package (denyhosts) for which I would like to push an
update.  Unfortunately the new version requires changes to the
configuration file.  The syntax hasn't changed, but one setting was
renamed and several mandatory ones have been added.  If the changes
aren't made, the daemon won't start properly.

So, do I:

1) Tag a fresh config file as %config instead of %config(noreplace) so
   that the updated package will at least start but will require
   operator intervention to return to previous behavior.  (Assuming
   the admin notices the change in behavior.)

2) Attempt to fix up the configuration in %post and hope I don't
   mangle something.

3) Do nothing and hope the admin notices the error messages when the
   daemon restarts.

 - J<