gtk+ stuff moving out of Core

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Apr 5 14:27:13 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 05.04.2006, 15:07 +0100 schrieb David Woodhouse:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 15:51 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > > Don't forget that Extras policy still requires a formal review, even for
> > > Core->Extras transitioned packages.
> >
> > And a new maintainer -- it helps nobody if we have a lot of orphaned
> > packages in Extras (even if they come from Core).
>
> It doesn't _require_ a new maintainer -- the person who owned in Core
> could quite happily continue to maintain it at least during the
> transition.

That was often not the case in the past iirc.

>  A change of maintainer is something we can handle anyway, if
> they don't want to continue.

> And we could bypass the formal review for the initial binary package too
> -- just make sure it passes review before the first _update_ is actually
> put through the Extras build system.

And if there no one steps up to maintain it in extras? If it fails
review? Will it be deleted? Who will do that? When? Chances are high
that some packages will just linger around there until FC6 test3. Then
someone will notice "He, no one maintains gtk+ or foo in Extras -- let's
remove it. Ohh, we can't remove it -- a lot of packages depend on it".

I'd like to avoid that.

But okay, if others agree, let's do something like this: Copy over the
binary packages from rawhide to extras devel. Let them linger around
there for a month or a bit more (let's say "end of May" in this case) --
then they will get deleted. Even if that breaks deps for other packages
in Extras.

That okay for everybody?

> We need to make it easier for things to pass between Core and Extras, in
> either direction.

Agreed.