Perl modules (license: distributable)

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Apr 20 15:39:31 UTC 2006

JPO> The Mail::Sender module has the following license: "This program
JPO> is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
JPO> the same terms as Perl itself. There is only one aditional
JPO> condition, you may NOT use this module for SPAMing! NEVER! (see
JPO> http://spam.abuse.net/ for definition)"

Nice and contradictory; perl is GPL (and Artistic, of course) and the
GPL prevents adding restrictions.  The module shouldn't have been
included.

Crypt::Blowfish just says:

----
The implementation of the Blowfish algorithm was developed by,
and is copyright of, A.M. Kuchling.

Other parts of the perl extension and module are
copyright of Systemics Ltd ( http://www.systemics.com/ ).

Code revisions, updates, and standalone release are copyright
1999-2001 W3Works, LLC.
----

I expect this kind of thing is repeated; there's a copyright, but it
gives no hint that it can be redistributed.  Everyone assumes that
it's implicit because the author uploaded it to CPAN, but CPAN
explicitly says that you can't assume that.  At least one other module
is held up in review for just this issue.
(perl-Log-Dispatch-FileRotate, I think).

Each of these "Distributable" modules needs a rereview and will
probably have to be pulled unless the authors will clarify.  I know
Crypt::Blowfish has modules which depend on it, so this will cause
problems.

 - J<