Perl modules (license: distributable)

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Apr 21 07:25:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:18:54PM -0400, Matthew Miller alleged:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:39:31AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> > JPO> The Mail::Sender module has the following license: "This program
> > JPO> is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
> > JPO> the same terms as Perl itself. There is only one aditional
> > JPO> condition, you may NOT use this module for SPAMing! NEVER! (see
> > JPO> http://spam.abuse.net/ for definition)"
> > Nice and contradictory; perl is GPL (and Artistic, of course) and the
> > GPL prevents adding restrictions.  The module shouldn't have been
> > included.
>
> Nothing prevents you from licensing your code as "GPL + additional
> restrictions". You just can't add additional restrictions to code that was
> licensed _to you_ under the GPL. And of course, any such additional
> restrictions make the result not GPL-compatible.

Not that I disagree with you, but that limit on usage, even for
spamming, still violates the FSF free software definition.

"The freedom to run the program, for any purpose"

"any kind of person or organization to use it on any kind of computer
system, for any kind of overall job"

University of Southern California