Legacy in Build Roots

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Sat Aug 5 00:12:28 UTC 2006

On 8/4/06, Christian Iseli <Christian.Iseli at licr.org> wrote:
> Taking a-d into account, I see a reasonable case to take
> advantage of FL security fixes for those maintainers still interested
> in maintaining packages for old FE releases.  It's far from perfect,
> but I think it's better than not using FL.

+1.  It seems to me that running a core release once passed over to
legacy w/o legacy updates is akin to using a current core release and
disabling the updates repo.

> The main problems I see:
>  - users need to subscribe to FL.  IMHO, the proper solution is to add
> FL packages to the FC updates like would seem natural.  But that's not
> FESCo's call.  FAB maybe ?

One idea -- just brainstorming here -- would be for the last
core-released update to a distro going legacy to install & enable the
legacy yum repos.

>  - some FE maintainers don't want to maintain old releases.  IMHO,
> co-maintainership should help in that case.  Or maybe the security SIG,
> but they probably have enough on their plate already.

Personal opinion here: maintainers/packagers aren't making a lifetime
commitment to keeping extras packages for legacy distros up to date.
(That being said, I'll probably try to respond to
security-related/critical issues with mine.)  Co-maintainers
(including SIGs acting as such), or maintainers for legacy branches,
can help out significantly here.

                         -Chris

--
Chris Weyl