It's time to play that Name Game again!

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Thu Aug 17 22:13:46 UTC 2006

Once upon a time Jesse Keating wrote:
> FC2 was Tettnang, FC3 was Heidelberg, FC4 was Stentz, and FC5 is  Bordeaux
> What we need is a name that is related to Bordeaux, but not in the same way
> that Bordeaux is related to Stentz.  Extra credit if there is a semi-easy
> way out of the name for FC7.

About the names: is there a good overview how the names are related to each
other? For the old Red Hat names we had
http://web.archive.org/web/20050223032029/http://smoogespace.com/documents/behind_the_names.html
but the Fedora Core names are somewhat unclear. The german Wikipedia has an
article about that:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_und_Red_Hat_Versionsnamen
But there the connections between the versions is not clear, and the
connection between Heidelberg, Stentz and Bordeaux is Wine everytime, which
would be against the rules (and boring!). I tried to go through the mail
lists, but that was a bit too much to read...

> Please start discussing, I'd like to have a list of good names to throw
> at Legal later next week.

Afaik Bordeaux is also, although not mentioned in the wikipedia, a color -
therefore the name for 6 could be:
- "Magenta", which is a colour *and* a charakter from the Rocky Horror Picture
Show
- Ostwald, which is a colouring system (see
http://home.arcor.de/wilhelm-ostwald/ostweng/thomas.htm )
and also the name of the nobel price winner who invented this system.

A name for FC7 could be another charakter from or around the Horror Show or
another Nobel Price winner.

So far,

Roland
--
"Keinem vernünftigen Menschen wird es einfallen, Tintenflecken mit Tinte,
Ölflecken mit Öl wegwaschen zu wollen. Nur Blut soll immer wieder mit Blut