Free Software audit update

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Fri Aug 18 21:57:30 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:

> Rahul wrote:
>> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>>> openmotif doesn't seems to me to be free enough to be in fedora
>>> extras, since it hasn't an OSI compatible licence.
>>>
>> Fedora Core packages dependent on openmotif are xpdf, ddd. tetex-xdvi,
>> mesa-libGLw as stated in the above bug report.  If there are many
>> packages dependent on openmotif in Fedora Extras we could do this as a
>> two step process.
>>
>> * Move all openmotif dependencies and openmotif itself into Fedora Extras
>> * Fix or drop packages as necessary.
>>
>> The advantage of moving it into Fedora Extras is that the broader
>> community of packages can work on this and resolve things faster.
>>

> My idea exactly. Although I don't know how feasible this is for
> mesa-libGLw .

Already submitted for review at bug #188974, which is currently bogged
down in details about how to obsolete/provide/whatever properly.  If
someone wants to help me out there I'd be thrilled.

libGLw doesn't intrinsically care what motif it's built against, but it
does include its own copies of some headers and there's ABI breakage in
there as a result.  Scary.  There's a reason we hate Motif.

- ajax