Free Software audit update

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Sat Aug 19 11:13:13 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 23:35, Rahul wrote:

> It would be been better to discuss any potential legal issues before
> submitting the package in question. do you have any more information or
> references to the alleged patented algorithms?

  It seems that I was wrong, at least searching through some of the details I
see that the patent reference appears in the IBM public license 1.0
http://www.research.ibm.com/dx/srcDownload/license.html

  This is what FSF has to say about this license
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
"""
IBM Public License, Version 1.0
This is a free software license but it is incompatible with the GPL.
 The IBM Public License is incompatible with the GPL because it has various
specific requirements that are not in the GPL.
 For example, it requires certain patent licenses be given that the GPL does
not require. (We don't think those patent license requirements are inherently
a bad idea, but nonetheless they are incompatible with the GNU GPL.)
"""

  So it seems I was wrong. :-)

--
José Abílio