Free Software audit update

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Aug 20 10:28:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 06:52:53AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 03:29 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> > Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Too bad. I'm working on getting a package (opendx) which depends on openmotif
> > > into Extras. Any viable openmotif replacements?
> No.
>
> > Lesstif obviously.
>
> Definitely non-obvious?
>
> Last time I checked, lesstif didn't really work "that well".

Were the lesstif developpers reluctant on fixing the bugs? Giving more
visibility to lesstif may help having the bugs solved, and maybe could
lead openmotif to be turned into a free software. The promise to have
openmotif licenced under a free software licence is there since many years,
but nothing has happened.

> To me, dropping OpenMotif would be real regression.

openmotif isn't free software. Doing that switch is important in my opinion.

lesstif is known to work with most or all of the softwares shipped in fedora
extras and core.

If somebody really wants openmotif, he will certainly have the knowledge
to install it, but we really shouldn't provide openmotif, like any other
non-free software.

--
Pat