Free Software audit update

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Aug 21 06:30:52 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> well openmotif is a "it's free for open source" license... so to call it
>>> proprietary... is not entirely fair either.
> ACK
>
>> Ok my wording might not have been entirely appropriate but it doesnt
>> meet the packaging guidelines for either Free software
>> (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/motif.html) or open source software
>> (http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html) and should be removed from
>> the distribution.
> Yes, OpenMotif is not a copyright nor a legal issue. It's a religious
> one. It's licence doesn't meet the some people's "confession/belief"

I completely do not understand (nor share) your point of view here.
Fedora has always been about building a distro which is 100.1 % free (as
in freedom) and thus allows other to pick it up and do anything with it
they like including selling it (modified or not) building proprietary
stuff on top of it etc.

To quote the opengroups motif faq (linked above) on this:
"Open Motif source code and binaries can be distributed royalty free
under The Open Group Public License as long as the operating system upon
which Open Motif is running meets the OSI's Open Source Definition"

Now royalty free does not sound very free software / oss to me. Also
notice the hairy and vague condition: "as long as the operating system
upon which Open Motif is running meets the OSI's Open Source Definition"
so if someone want s to take Fedora and replace say the kernel and
c-library with something proprietary for what ever reason he cannot do
that without removing openmotif. And what about a kernel with the nvidea
driver loaded does that still count as an openrating system matching
OSI's Open Source Definition?

Anyways I cannot believe I let myself be lured into responding to this
this is a very clear case and openmotif must go, no decission needed.

If you disagree feel free to submit it to that other repo, I might even
help out by reviewing it.

Regards,

Hans