Free Software audit update

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Aug 21 07:16:42 UTC 2006

> Most major distros (e.g. SuSE and RedHat) abandoned Lesstif many years
> ago, which had caused Lesstif to fall into the "black hole" of "nearly
> dead projects".

debian doesn't count?

> > openmotif isn't free software.
> You know, OpenMotif is a corner case wrt. "OpenSource".

It is definitely not free software as defined by the OSI, and also because
it is really not fres software: there are restrictions about using it
on some platforms.

> >  Doing that switch is important in my opinion.
> I could not disagree more. I feel your opinion to be a fundamentalist's
> position, making an issue where the isn't any.

It is not my position, it is the fedora position (I don't even have a
clear idea of what is my position on that case).

> OpenMotif has been part of most major Linux distros for many years.
> I am not aware of any legal actions/threads against anybody because of
> this.

As said by others this is really not relevant, free software isn't
'redistributable in fedora' software.

> It is known not to work in many cases and in many case to require
> hacking and patching to get it going.

This is not a rela blocker, and shouldn't block complying with fedora
goals anyway.

--
Pat