Free Software audit update

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Aug 21 11:20:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:50:50PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > * if the definition of free software is the OSI definition then
> >   openmotif isn't free software.
> > * If fedora is only made of OSI compliant softwares then openmotif
> >   shouldn't be in fedora.
>
> that's still a belief. I'm not arguing against a belief; such beliefs
> form a set of values, and those are generally good. I'm not arguing
> against removing openmotif from fedora; it does violate a core fedora
> belief and as such there's not much place for it in the distro [*].
>
> But to pretend it's not a "belief" is almost dishonest. Free software as

Sure, I didn't mean that it is not a belief, but that it shouldn't be
violated solely because it is a belief. Indeed it becomes a norm within
fedora when it is in the fedora goal. The norm should be respected, or
changed. And once a norm is edicted it should become as technical
(objective?) as possible to check whether it is respected or not.

--
Pat