Free Software audit update

Christophe GRENIER grenier at cgsecurity.org
Tue Aug 22 10:32:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 06:52:53AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> No.
>>
>>> Lesstif obviously.
>>
>> Definitely non-obvious?
>>
>> Last time I checked, lesstif didn't really work "that well".
>
> Were the lesstif developpers reluctant on fixing the bugs? Giving more
> visibility to lesstif may help having the bugs solved, and maybe could
> lead openmotif to be turned into a free software. The promise to have
> openmotif licenced under a free software licence is there since many years,
> but nothing has happened.
>
>> To me, dropping OpenMotif would be real regression.
>
> openmotif isn't free software. Doing that switch is important in my opinion.
>
> lesstif is known to work with most or all of the softwares shipped in fedora
> extras and core.
>
> If somebody really wants openmotif, he will certainly have the knowledge
> to install it, but we really shouldn't provide openmotif, like any other
> non-free software.

Other than xpdf, the only reason I have to install openmotif are
two (ugly) non-free software:
- Oracle database
- Citrix ICAClient
Dropping openmotif would be a serious regression unless lesstif
works as a replacement...

Regards,
 	Christophe

   / |  '     \    | |"""""""""|       -= GRENIER Christophe =-
      ====         !_!--v---v--"       http://www.cgsecurity.org
     /  __/~| ._-""||        |      Email: grenier at cgsecurity.org