Free Software audit update

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 17:26:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 06:13 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> [...]
> Now, I feel this expectations to fail. Instead, I feel Fedora is being
> (ab-) used as a means for a "religious crusade", overall causing Fedora
> to be gradually crippled and becoming less usable.

Ralf,

I wish you could have heard Jimbo Wales, founder of Wikipedia, talking
about the strong position they've taken on the topic of free licenses.
In order to comply with the copyright interpretations of 160 countries
(!), they've had to hold strongly to the free position, because any
movement away from that would unravel the universality (and legality) of
the project.  Maybe you think that wikipedia, too, is just a project of
religious zealots, but I think it's brilliant, and I found myself
agreeing strongly with all the reasons Jimbo gave for their decisions.

You are free to characterize your beliefs however you wish, but I think
you are being erroneous to interpret the Fedora position on freedom as
being remotely religious.  It is very practical, even if it is
inconvenient in the short run.