guidelines, devel, .so, and dlopened files

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 18:56:25 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> Related to this, we currently have our Provides/Requires: namespace
> being poluted by automatic .so provides for files which are only meant
> to be dlopened aka plugins. The easiest fix for this would be for the
> autodep generator to only look in files which are in the ld.so
> searchpath (including those listed in ld.so.conf.d files in the
> RPM_BUILD_ROOT, to correctly handle things like qt3).
>
> Any Thoughts / suggestions on this?

This is an issue for perl binary modules. For example, perl-DBI
provides DBI.so.   This hasn't been a problem because perl modules
tend to have capitalized names which are unlikely to conflict with
other share library names.

I think python and ruby with binary extensions have the same issue of
including the .so files in the provides.  My impression is that the
python convention is to prepend an underscore or append "module" to
the shared library name to distinguish them from the wrapped library.
And they don't include the "lib" prefix.  The potential for conflict
is likely between ruby and python extensions or other plugins.
Libraries named "regex.so" or "fs.so" are just asking for trouble.

 - Ian