Heads-up: python 2.5 on its way

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 01:11:26 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 16:17 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > This is just a heads up that I'm in the progress of getting python 2.5
> > staged for the development tree.  At this point, I'm doing the build on
> > the side and trying to get a good chunk of the Core packages rebuilt
> > against it before pushing to the development tree itself.  I'm still
> > hoping to be able to do the actual move over either later today or
> > tomorrow (depending on how fast the Core build system decides to be)
>
> As warned, these packages are built and are now moving over so should be
> showing up in tomorrow's development push.
>
> I've rebuilt the majority of Core which showed up with a dep on
> python[1], but I'm sure I missed something in my query.  Also, there's a
> healthy number of packages in Extras which will be hit by this as well.
>
> If anyone runs into any problems or has any questions, let me know.  And
> if you need a python25 package to play with while on FC6, my slightly
> older packages are still available at
> http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/python/fc6/.  The changes from that
> build are largely clean-ups and shouldn't impact any basic porting
> effort.
>
> Jeremy
>
> [1] A few packages failed to rebuild for reasons unrelated to the new
> version of python and I didn't dig into all of them to fix.

One of my python packages is refusing to build on fc7 with the following error:

error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/include/python2.5/pyconfig-32.h (No such file or directory)

All I'm doing is:
%{__python} setup.py install -O1 --skip-build --root %{buildroot}

And the setup.py script is some tiny file which doesn't look like it
has any checks for this.  Anyone have any idea what could be going on
here?